Consider allowing a Stephen
Minister to walk with you on your journey to wholeness.
Stephen Ministry is a program
of our congregation that equips lay persons to provide distinctively
one-to-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of
life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who.....
* express God's care through their lives to
* receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills
* are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their intial training;
* visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support
* participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained
* are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
* serve for at least two years;
* receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of
Put on then, as God's
chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion." Colossians
Meets the needs of People
There are times when each of us needs the care of another person, a Christian
friend, a Stephen Minister! These needs include but are not limited to.....
* the hospitalized
* the terminally ill and their families
* people who move into or out of our community
* those grieving a death or serious loss
* the homebound and institutionalized
* prisoners, ex-offenders and their families
* those with a job crisis
* the aging and elderly
* those with disabilities and their families
* those needing the support of a Christian friend
* those facing life transitions
* the separated or divorced
* households experiencing birth or adoption
* those in spiritual crisis
Stephen Ministry is confidential ministry;
those receiving care can be sure that their identity and what
goes on in the caring relationship will remain private.
"Bear one another's
burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians
How does the referrals process work?
* A person - either you, a relative, or a friend-is
hurting and in need of Christian care.
* The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator learns about this need for care
- from the pastor, the person, or a friend, always with the person's permission.
* The Referrals Coordinator meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
* With the person's permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen
Minister to meet on a weekly basis with the person.
* The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for
the person in strict confidentiality.
" Dear friends, since God
so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has
ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us
and his love is made made complete in us." 1 John 4:11-12
A Stephen Minister is NOT ...
* a counselor or therapist;
* a problem-solver;
* a causal visitor.
another and build one another up." 1 Thessalonians
How Can You Support Our Congregation's Stephen Ministry
* Pray for our Stephen Leaders and Stephen Ministers
as they provide Christian care to others.
* Pray for all who are receiving confidential care through the Stephen Ministry
of our congregation.
* Tell Stephen Leaders about those who might benefit from the care of a Stephen
Minister - be sure to get that person's permission first!
* Tell others in our community about the availability of our congregation's
Stephen Ministry and the care it can provide.
* Receive Stephen Ministry when you are in need of supportive Christian care.
* Consider serving as a Stephen Minister.
* Support Stephen Ministry with your financial gifts.